Saturday, September 5, 2009

Part 2 Media in the Digital Age

I am currently enrolled in the second part of Media in the Digital Age, and am really excited to pursue this course and further my knowledge in new age media. I found it quite interesting to actually study the type of user generated content that I interact with everyday. For example, the social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, I use everyday to keep in contact with my friends who I may not have talked to in years. In the case of Twitter it keeps me updated on my friends and role models such as Jay z or John Mayer. On facebook I am able to communicate with my friends from all over the globe, and keep update on whats happening in thier lives. Through Twitter I am able to follow people I admire and stay updated on events that are happening around town. Before, starting this course I didn't really think about how a site like this was made I just interacted within the site, but now I look at media on the internet in a different way.
I find it fascinating that our technology has advanced so much that we have the capability of communicating through networks all over the globe. The idea of video chatting with someone in China would never have been an imaginative thought ten years ago and now it's an everyday usage and function. Computers are sold now with built in cameras so video chatting is easily accessible. I was also really interested in the Second Life I had never heard of this site before class, and was blown away when researching more about the concept and graphics of this site. The fact that we can interact in a cyber world with other cyber creatures in this 3D dimension was fascinating and once again shows the evolution of our technology.
I really enjoy the new media because as a consumer, I can interact with the producers of these sites and upload my own media making myself a producer of work and media that another person might find interesting. Another amazing thing about new media is the knowledge you can gain from social knowledge to world news, its all accessible on a laptop if you are connected to a network, on this simple but complex machine we can access more information than any news paper film or person could possibly try to offer because we have access to anything we want. I look forward to learning how to create my own website form scrach and build a code to me that is another very interesting concept and the fact that programming is so key to the way we are able to interact fascinates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment